Self-love is about more than sitting in a bubble bath with a glass of wine once per month. Self-love is about the way you view yourself, speak to yourself, treat yourself, and the dreams you have for your life. I never get tired of writing these kind of posts, because we all need reminders from time to time. Here are a few truths about self-love we all need to remember.
1. You are inherently enough. There is a common myth in society that we have to earn or prove our worth by completing a certain number of external achievements – like having a large house, successful career, impressive partner and acceptable body shape. The truth is, you were born enough.
2. Comparison is a waste of energy. Comparison misses the whole point of your life – to be you. To be the unique once-in-humankind blend of divine gifts.
3. It makes sense to focus on your strengths. You get more of what you focus on. So, instead of focusing on your flaws and imperfections, focus on what you do well, instead of only noticing what you do wrong.
4. Self-care is not selfish. It is essential. When you get so busy with to-do lists and work and giving to others that you forget to make time for self-care and pleasure, your cup is going to run dry. Make time in your day and week to do the things you love, and small acts of self-care to refill your cup.
5. Create empowering self-talk because you are listening. Encourage yourself with kind words, a positive mindset and affirmations. Your self-talk matters because YOU are listening to it . And, it has an impact on the way you see yourself and what you believe you are capable of.
6. You are not what others think of you. You couldn’t possibly be what others think of you – because everyone has a different opinion of you. When you accept yourself, you no longer need the acceptance of others because you already know you are Awesome.
7. You are perfectly imperfect. Many of us believe the myth that we have to fix ourselves constantly or be perfect every.single.day of the week in order to be on top. The truth is that we are already perfect, flaws and all.
8. You have to love yourself first. Many of us make the mistake of putting off self-love until some day next month. We think when we get the loving partner, the perfect job, the big bank balance, or the weight loss, then we’ll love ourselves. Not so. You need to love and accept yourself first. . then everything will fall into place.
The truth is that Self-love is essential to living Your Best life. You are the person you spend the most time with in this life, and you are the common factor in ALL areas of your life, so your relationship with yourself is going to have a huge impact on your quality of life. And, loving self will empower you to not settle for less than you deserve. As you ponder on your plans for this brand new year 2018, ask yourself. .
Are there people in your life that are no longer “your people”?
Is it time to let them go and create space for others that bring you Joy?
What if you simply devoted this year to loving yourself more? WOWZA!!
Happy 2018 Sistas & Friends.